Thursday, April 08, 2010

Word Discussion Topic: Imagery

Why are some things easier to remember than others.  Why are sequences of numbers difficult, yet stories are easier.  Let me suggest that stories are image driven, while numbers in and of them selves don't tell any story, save patterns.

When I was in college, yes I "was" in college I bought a 'memory' book from the bookstore.  That book, and the techniques taught me a lot about imagery.  Imagery provides a way for a poets audience to internalize a writing and provoke some sort of response.  It doesn't matter so muc, in my opinion, if the poet gets the desired response as much as long as one is provoked.

Another benefit of imagery is its way of letting the readers know who we are, where we've been and helps to steer the reader in a thought or emotion.

Imagery warms words, giving them color and substance that they may not otherwise hold. 

What is a tree for example.  Is it a solid, rooted thickly relic of time?  Or is it a dry twig stuck in a barron field of clover? 

It's all up to the poet.

Add Your comment to the discussion, and thanks for visiting.

No comments: